Catching up!!

One of my projects was to make things with pieces of embroidery. Some of the pieces I bought in the second hand stores I visit regularly and some I bought at the annual fair in Mystras. There used to be a stand with beautiful embroidery from Russia. The vendor had new and used pieces. 


 She also sold pieces with holes or stains, very cheap. As you know, it takes a lot of time to embroider, so new work is very expensive.  Second hand though is very cheap. The above piece came from a border with holes in it. As a small wall hanging it gets a new life! More Russian embroidery below.


 In the second hand shop I found this piece. It had been framed because I could see the rusty dots from the nails. I had it for quite some time, thought that it was a bit too much, but finally I managed to use it and I am very pleased with the result! I think that I found the perfect border and even appliqued some flowers which I cut from an old duvet cover!!



The next cushion was made for a friend. She embroidered this piece as a sampler when she was elementary school age. That was about 50 years ago!!


For the children's room this wall hanging. One of the quilters got it in de second hand shop. It had the name of the baby and the date of birth embroidered on it too. I removed that, put a border around it and it has a new life. How I love recycling!!!



On Wednesday I am teaching a class on how to choose the fabrics to recycle your old embroidery pieces, the ones you made, your mother or grandmother made. This will be fun and the result will have an emotional value too, when it is a heirloom!!

Comments

  1. Μα πόσο όμορφες δημιουργίες, Άντα μου. Ποιος μπορεί να μην τις θαυμάσει? Το τελευταίο που με ενδιαφέρει είναι αν πρόκειται για δεύτερο χέρι ή όχι. Είναι πραγματικά πανέμορφες. Καλή σου μέρα, φίλη μου.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Έχω πάρα πολλά κεντήματα από τη Ρωσία.
    Τα αγόρασα πριν από χρόνια από διάφορες λαϊκές αγορές.
    Μου άρεσε η ιδέα σου για πάπλωμα κσι μαξιλάρια.
    Να είσαι καλά και φιλάκια πολλά

    ReplyDelete
  3. Υπέροχα όλα!!! Μόλις τελείωσα κι εγώ δυο μαξιλάρια με παλιά κεντήματα της γιαγιάς μου και ένα αμπαζούρ!Τα έφτισξα για την κόρη μου!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Ada,
    How CLEVER you are for purchasing such superb Russian embroidery in a second hand shop! Your ideas are brilliant and yes, it gets a totally new life.
    The baby's birth date being removed also is brilliant. However sad that someone ever lets go of so much labor of love...
    Good luck in your teaching class, it is very special for passing on.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    Enne, ik zit niet zó ver van je vandaan nu... in Budapest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful to see these beautiful embroideries getting another life. You have some great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How very clever you are at recycling all these pieces! They certainly have a new life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts