A new start!!


After nearly a year of absence , I thought it would be nice to start blogging again.

I had a busy year, but during the lockdown I had time to evaluate my life and put my priorities in a proper perspective. I realized that what I need is balance!!
Now don't we all!!! Not an exiting insight, but something we easily forget. I am the person who is always thinking....I have to do this......I should do that....So, no more "shoulds" and "have-to's". Let just take every day as it comes and see what happens. Just like these two stray cats above.

I am going to balance my work, my garden, my house and my leisure time. Wish me luck!!!

Let's start with the garden. The poor thing was neglected for a few years. So only the strongest of the plants survived and as a bonus I have nearly every possible kind of weed growing there now. The weeds came up to 1 meter of height. All those years I kept watering the strawberries though. I was the only one who knew where they were because you couldn't see them any more.


They were well protected and stayed moist, and they're doing fantastic at this moment. We have a good harvest. There was no time to replant them and put them in rows, but the bed looks great. The spearmint also survived and, as a matter of fact, pops up everywhere. A whole root system below the surface!!
After Paris (my husband) and me pulled all the weeds, we had someone come to do the digging and to prune the citrus trees. What a difference! Only negative aspect is, that Paris, not being used to gardening, overdid it a bit and hurt his back. So no more gardening for him at the moment.


I wake up early and work an hour or so in the garden.  I love gardening, it relaxes me and makes me feel good. And... I don't feel guilty when I have my afternoon coffee outside, reading a magazine, or doing some hand stitching. Didn't I say no more "should's" ( I should work in the garden instead of sitting here!!!). Balancing my leisure time!
I feed a mother stray cat and her little black kitten. They are waiting already! The little one is very cute, but afraid. Runs away when I come close. She loves playing in the garden. Probably sees a bird here.



And then we have Mio, our indoor/outdoor cat. He used to live in Athens with my daughter Alexandra and her family. He had 3 balconies to roam on the 4th floor and a big view. When he came to Sparta, nearly a year ago, he was very interested in other cats, something completely new for him. He was friendly to begin with. Soon he realized, though, that the stray ones in the garden, didn't like newcomers.
He had to be careful, retreat or attack. He chose for the last option, even though he is neutered. I guess that he thinks, after living for 3 years inside, that there is no way he will have his new found freedom being taken away from him!!! He sits like a king on different spots in the garden, protecting his kingdom. Good for him!




It is 6 o'clock, time for my coffee break! There is a nice breeze, so it won't be too hot.
Someone else was enjoying the garden too this morning. Lovely breakfast between the flowers, cats, butterflies, zooming bees, or wasps, tiny lizards.
What else do you want??


Have a nice day and stay safe!!


Comments

  1. I am so pleased to see you have started your Blog again.
    Your garden looks so green and peaceful I quite envy you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Ada,
    Happy for you and Paris to start slowing down and enjoying life!
    Know that feeling. In 2013 I've started the scanning of all our slides, mainly for handing them digital to Pieter's adopted daughter whom we invited with her husband to come to Curaçao for a vacation together; Dad's treat. Then I scanned all our photo albums, one every day and after a good month (early May) they got done. Weeding time was too late anyway by then... Another year it was the scrapbooks and filing everything by subject, year etc.
    Oh, in 2018 when I was on crutches with my double pelvic bone fracture, I scanned all of Mom's letters and other things. No weeding, nothing.
    Went on last year to digitalize all our videos... Mega projects but Pieter enjoyed watching them on his new large iPad.
    My final, postponed mega project was to self publish via IngramSpark Pieter's updated version of his book, called the mushroom bible. So that's what we're doing and hoping that within a month we will be holding the actual books in paperback and hardcover and seeing the eBook as well. After that, I'll do exactly the same as you do. Pieter sold his John Deere and we have a crew of very hard working Mexicans, born here, doing the entire garden in record time, very professional and the edging e.g. is meticulously done. Pieter smiled when he saw them do this. So that is well established for when I'm left by myself one day.
    Have not had time to read a book or pick up an embroidery in about 7 years now. Love to go back to that!
    Publishing all of Mom's letters in a Pdf kind of book for my relatives is another task but not as big.
    I've also started to write Memoirs for my Pieter since he's been a true pioneer for the mushroom industry. Don't want a website anymore, too much headache and too costly as well. Simplifying life as much as possible!
    So I applaud you for being on the way to the very same goal. What is important in life? It is your spouse, family and pets! Of course friends too.
    Let's try to focus on that.
    Haha, see that you too use the French press for coffee. Looks familiar...
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    PS Love your courageous cat-man. Those strays should get their treatment at the vet so no more new problems. Sad thing that people abandon kittens or never have them spayed or neutered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mariette, Wow, you did a lot of work in all those years!! It will have given you a lot of satisfaction that it is nearly finished now and that you can relax.
    Greece still has a lot of stray cats and dogs. It is a problem! hugs, ada

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Nice to hear about you! Just a question what about Flopsy the cat? All the best Flavia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Flavia. Flopsy got sick about a year ago and unfortunately we had to put him to sleep. Two months after that we got Mio, because my daughter and family moved from Athens to Belgium.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear about that.......but Life is so.....Was a beautiful cat!!! But all Creature are nice!!!All the best Flavia

      Delete
  6. Hi Ada
    Nice to see your blog again
    So sorry about Flopsy
    Have a nice day
    Soula♥️

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Ada! I was so very pleased to see you back in blogging! I was always admiring your garden and I can imagine how much work you had to do to get it in order again! I hope you will now enjoy sitting there with your husband!
    I wish you a lovely summer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great summer for you too Marie-Anne! You are lucky you have the sea close!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts